I try to get as much calcium into my diet as possible, so I'm always looking for new ways to sneak in dairy products - after all, I can only eat so much yogurt, and I'm not sure ice cream counts as a "good" source of the mineral. When I was visiting my family recently, I noticed that my mom always has a couple of Kraft Mozzarella & Cheddar Cheese Twists before bed, and although I was never too interested in eating this snack in the past, I decided to give it a try.
Each mozzarella & cheddar twist provides 60 calories, 5% of the daily value for total fat, including 2 grams of saturated fat (10% of the daily value), no carbohydrates, 6 grams of protein, and 15% of the DV for calcium. I hadn't realized what a low-calorie, high-protein snack this calcium-laden treat was. I opened a singly-wrapped cheese stick to see what I was in for. What I found was a fun swirl of mozzarella and cheddar cheese that was surprisingly fun to peel and eat. Before I knew it, I had polished off a few sticks - which is something to watch out for, because the saturated fat content is on the high side.
Kraft Natural Cheese Snacks Mozzarella & Cheddar Cheese Twists are made with 2% milk, and the ingredients are simply Pasteurized Part-Skim Milk, Cheese Culture, Vinegar, Salt, Enzymes, Annatto (Color), Vitamin A Palmitate (source).
When I went to look for my own package in the grocery store (I couldn't eat all of my mom's stash, after all), I noticed that a 12-piece package was $5.99 - kind of pricey. However, this was at a "higher end" grocery store, so I'm hoping that these twists are cheaper at more normally-priced chains.
The bottom line? I'm now a string cheese convert - this is a delicious and nutritious (and highly portable!) snack that I will be stocking up on in the future.